At the cutting edge of tomorrow's technology
End devices are becoming smaller and smaller, and the space on the printed circuit boards is becoming more and more precious. For a long time now, it has no longer been sufficient to assemble the outer layers conventionally, and the inner layers (multi layers) are also being used.
Cavities make it possible to accommodate components in the inner layers and thus to fit increasingly complex assemblies in a smaller space.
By utilizing several layers, the space on the same area can be utilized to the maximum.
In order to place micro chips, heat sinks or resistors on the circuit boards, recesses, so-called cavities, are made in the circuit board by means of a laser in order to remove the desired material.
The laser first opens the copper surface and then removes the dielectric. Another laser pass cleans the exposed inner copper surface from resin residues.
Advantages of using lasers for cavities in printed circuit boards
- Precise control of ablation depth and geometry of the cavity in contrast to conventional processes.
- High surface quality guaranteed with minimal thermal stress on the material (with suitable laser sources in the high-frequency range with pulse lengths in the picosecond range).
- CAD data and laser parameters are adapted individually and with high precision to the different requirements.
- The free etching of copper masks is unnecessary.
- The process enables multiple cavities with different depths on changing design structures on a single PCB
Cavities with laser machines from InnoLas Solutions
InnoLas Solutions is the market leader in laser processing of printed circuit boards of any material at a precision class of up to +- 5 µm.
We supply the right machine for every processing and manufacturing process. A choice of laser options and different system features depending on the application, allows you to find the right balance between cost and quality for your applications.
For both special applications and high volume production, InnoLas Solutions is the right partner for you. We will be happy to assist you in selecting the perfect solution for you:
- Laser sources: ultraviolet, green and infrared lasers with pulse durations in the nano and picosecond range.
- Substrate size: small and large working areas covering all standard formats up to 30 x 30 inches
- Automation level: stand alone or as part of a fully integrated production line (Industry 4.0 capable).